A day after HT highlighted Bhavan Vidyalaya’s plans to hold a written admission test for Class 6 in February next year, as per an advertisement published in a local daily, the UT education department sprung into action and issued a show-cause notice to the school on Tuesday.
Sources in the education department said the school is to file the reply by 2pm on Wednesday.
Confirming the same, the director public instructions (schools) Rubinderjit Singh Brar said while the showcause notice had been issued, the department is examining the whole issue.
“I have asked the deputy director (school education) to peruse guidelines of the ministry of human resource and development (MHRD) and orders of the courts also in this regard,” added Brar.
As per the notice, the education department has asked for an explanation for holding a written test for Class 6 in violation of the Section 13 of the Right to Education (RTE) Act.
As per Section 13 of the RTE, no school or person shall, while admitting a child, collect any capitation fee and subject the child or his or her parents or guardian to any screening procedure.
Furthermore, as per a clause under the Section, if any school or person, subjects a child to screening procedure, shall be punishable with a fine that may extend to `25,000 for the first contravention and `50,000 for each subsequent contravention.
As per the advertisement published by Bhavan Vidyalaya, Sector 27, on December 18, the admission on the basis of written test would be on Sunday, February 7, 2016.
Despite repeated attempts Bhavan Vidyalaya principal Vineeta Arora could not be contacted on Tuesday.
She had earlier told HT, “The test was held in order to check the preparedness of the students.”