The canteen at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, where a gas cylinder had exploded on Sunday night was not even allowed to use one as the canteen owner had permission to serve readymade food items only.
A major tragedy was averted at Married Doctors’ Hostel, PGIMER, when an LPG gas cylinder triggered blast on late Sunday evening. The cylinder caught fire in following a blast at the Tuck Shop (canteen) of the hostel’s E Block. Panic gripped the area as around 40 families of doctors had to be taken out of the hostel. The canteen was gutted completely.
According to sources, as per the terms and conditions of the contract, the contractor was allowed to serve only readymade food and that cooking in any case was not allowed.
When the PGIMER officials reached the spot, they were astonished to find out that not just cooking was being done at the hostel’s canteen but a domestic gas cylinder was also being used for the commercial activity.
The sources in the Married Doctors Hostel revealed the canteen would serve multiple items including noodles, omelets etc.
Interestingly, apart from the cylinder that caught fire, two more domestic gas cylinders were found on the canteen premises.
However, owner of the canteen had claimed that an electricity spark led to the blast.
Committee to probe incident
PGIMER director Dr YK Chawla on Monday called a meeting of senior functionaries in which the institute’s estate branch pointed out that the said owner was not allowed to do cooking in the canteen. The sources revealed PGIMER director has constituted an inspection/inquiry committee to stop any such incident in future and to stop use of domestic gas cylinders for commercial purposes.