A day after three minor children, including a girl, of a migrant labourer died after they were administered a de-worming syrup in Sonepat town, doctors at the civil hospital on Wednesday denied the possibility of the syrup being fatal and suspected poisoning as the cause of death.
Muskan (8), Sonu (5) and Ajay (2), children of one Bharat Singh, a native of Bihar, died after consuming Albedazole syrup.
They were rushed to the Sonepat civil hospital for treatment after their condition deteriorated, but could not be saved and were declared dead after some time.
Talking to HT over phone, Dr Jaswant Punia, civil surgeon of Sonepat civil hospital, said they have handed over the viscera sample to police for further sending it to Madhuban laboratory.
On the cause of death, Punia said doctors who attended the victims suspect consumption of celphos like substance, which was discovered by doctor when one of the victims was vomiting. He said though real cause of the death can only be ascertained after the report comes from the forensic science laboratory, the said syrup is taken to de-worm children and they have never heard of its side-effects.
Meanwhile, police said they have registered a case under Sections 328 (Causing hurt by means of poison) and 304 (Culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the Indian Penal Code against medical store owner Rajiv Kumar.
Sonepat DSP (headquarters) Darshan Lal said they have started probe into the matter and were analysing the case from all angles to bring the truth out.