BJP leader Harmohan Dhawan said he had taken up the issue of demolition of slum colonies in the city and eateries being shut down with the UT administration, but t he latter had stated it would not take any immediate action in the matter.
Addressing reporters at his Sector 9 home on Monday, he said unauthorised eateries in some markets had been issued sealing notices.
“The administration had set May 19 as the deadline for the notices. However, after I spoke with deputy commissioner Mohammed Shayin he assured me the sealing drive would not conducted,” he stated, adding shopkeepers would be given a month’s time to pay conversion charges to avoid any punitive action.
Dhawan said he had also taken up the UT administration’s plan to raze nine slum colonies, which had been served with demolition orders for next month.
“The administration has assured me residents of the slum colonies af fected won’t have to come to the Sector 42 of fice to submit documents. Instead, officials will visit their areas and help them in preparing the proper documentation as well as getting new flats under the slum rehabilitation scheme after their homes are razed,” he said.
Dhawan added he had also been assured those slumdwellers who had been included in the biometric surveys of 2006 but were denied new accomodation due to not having voter ID cards would be considered for allotment of flats by relaxing norms on documents for proof of residence.
Meanwhile, the BJP released a statement claiming the UT administration had shelved the plan to seal unauthorised booths in markets after t he chief of its local unit, Sanjay Tandon, had intervened in the matter.
A party spokesman, Kailash Chand, said those shopkeepers who got a sealing notice met Tandon, following which the latter called up the DC and urged him to take a “sympathetic” view on the matter.