Contaminated water was allegedly supplied through one of the new tubewells installed by the Municipal Corporation ( MC) in Ram Darbar. This has come to light a day after a three-year-old boy died due to diarrhoea and 30 were admitted in hospitals.
The MC had allegedly supplied water without testing the water from the tubewell. Meanwhile, around 100 fresh cases were reported on Wednesday.
As per the norms, before supplying the water from tubewell to the supply lines, it is mandatory to test the existing water in the tubewell for nearly three hours as it can be contaminated due to stagnation.
The authorities should also collect samples and ensure that the water is fit for human consumption before supplying it. In the said case, neither the testing was done, nor the samples were collected.
“A new tubewell began supplying water recently and the officials concerned did not test it. Now after so many days, they collected the samples and found them fit for human consumption. This makes no sense now as the contaminated water has already been supplied,” a public health department official told Hindustan Times.
“Instead of going for chlorinators as was done earlier for chlorination of tubewell water, the civic body has gone back to the old system. The water is now treated by using sodium hypocholride solution instead of chlorine that gives only 15% of the chlorine content and is more costlier than chlorine,” said the official.
Municipal Corporation Commissioner Vivek Pratap Singh said, “We have asked the UT administration to conduct a probe into the issue.”
“It is sad. Despite complaining several times about it, the MC continues to play with the lives of the people residing in the colonies and villages. We will take up the matter with the administration,” said former mayor Kamlesh.