Down with dengue-like symptoms, Chandigarh teenager dies at PGI | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Down with dengue-like symptoms, Chandigarh teenager dies at PGI

chandigarh Updated: Sep 20, 2015 13:06 IST
HT Correspondent

Public health department officials fogging a locality in Sector 41, Chandigarh, on Saturday. (Ravi Kumar/HT)

A 14-year-old boy, residing in an area near Sector 33, died in the wee hours of Saturday due to suspected dengue at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh. It is the first suspected dengue death in Chandigarh. With 15 new cases of dengue reported on Saturday, the total number of cases has reached 115 in the city.

The victim has been identified as Amit, who was residing near Gulati Bhawan, Sector 33. His father works as a watchman at the BJP’s office in Sector 33 and belongs to Uttarakhand. A few days back, the mother of the child had also passed away with dengue-like symptoms at a private hospital.

According to sources, following high fever and body aches, the boy was taken to the Government Multi Special Hospital, Sector-16, and was referred to PGIMER on Friday.

Sources said at the PGIMER, Amit was attended to well following intervention of BJP leaders, but he died. However, the health department officials said that they were still to confirm the cause of death. Following the death, the health department officials immediately rushed their teams to the area where Amit’s family lived and doctor were sent to the PGI to collect the medical record of the victim.

The health department officials have also found larvae of aedes aegypti (the mosquito that causes dengue) as well from near the victim’s house and launched intensive fogging in the area. The other areas where fogging was done included Sector 41, 42, Badheri and Attawa.

Dr Anil Garg said though the symptoms of the victim resembled to that of dengue but no serology test was carried out on the patient. “We have yet to get any confirmation from the virology department of the PGI. But we will definitely discuss the case in our monitoring committee meeting,” he said. He said they would also seek a report from private hospital where the mother of child had passed away.

The first case of dengue in the city was reported around two months back and since then there had been a surge in number of patients.