With three fresh cases of cholera reported on Monday, the total number of cholera cases reported from Manimajra have reached eight. Besides, 40 cases of diarrhoea were also reported in the area on Monday, said the UT health department officials.
Earlier, five cases of cholera were reported on Sunday. Cholera is an infection of the small intestine caused due to ingestion of contaminated water, most likely by sewage in this case. It kills the victim quickly.
As many as 11 people, who complained of severe diarrhoea on Monday, were hospitalised, said director, health services, Chandigarh, Dr VK Gagneja.
Taking note of the situation, the local health team visited the affected area. "After receiving the information about diarrhoea breakout, we have sent out teams to the area who visited around 2,500 houses and detected around 40 cases of diarrhoea on Monday. Out of these, 11 people have been hospitalised," said Dr Gagneja.
The health department is also carrying out a door-to-door survey in which people suffering from mild diarrhoea are being treated on the spot.
The health officials are suspecting that the main reason behind the breakout was supply of contaminated water through the MC taps. An MC team also visited the area and collected water samples.
Steps to be taken
People living in the affected areas should only consume boiled water
Elderly and kids must be especially taken care of because dehydration sometimes leads to renal failure among them
Give oral dehydration salts (ORS) continuously
If ORS packets are not available, give them a mixture of sugar, lemon and water.