Congress MLA from Moga, Joginder Pal Jain, who joined SAD on Wednesday, threatened an HT reporter over the phone after the newspaper ran a report 'Criminal cases against Jain made him join SAD?' in its issue dated December 26. HT stands by the report that highlighted the history of criminal cases against Jain, who called up Surinder Maan, HT correspondent from Moga, from the mobile number 97811 13397 and warned him against writing about the criminal cases against him. However, Jain failed to come up with a defence to contradict the report.
Criminal cases against Jain family
1. FIR No 120, dated August 26, 2007
Under sections 3, 5, 21 and 36 of the Punjab Apartment and Property Regulation Act, 1995.
The case was registered against MLA Joginder Pal Jain, wife Swarn Lata Jain, sons Puneet Jain and Akshit Jain and daughter Rohini at the Mehna police station in Moga.
In October 2009, the police filed a challan in the case at a Moga court. However, the case was shifted to Faridkot on the request of the MLA, who feared that senior leaders of the ruling Akali party could influence the case against him and his family at Moga.
Status: The case is still pending in the court of the additional chief judicial magistrate, Faridkot
2. Conviction: Jain has been sentenced by a court in a fake passport case. He was travelling in the name of one Mohan Lal of Ludhiana. He was convicted for the offence under sections 419 (cheating by impersonation) and 471 (using as genuine a forged document).
Status: The court directed him to furnish a probation bond of Rs 5,000 with one-year surety, and no punishment was awarded.
3. Charged under the Foreign Exchange Regulation Act (FERA). The case related to possessing huge amounts of foreign currency was registered against him in New Delhi. A case number 444/2004 under sections 132 and 135 (i) (a) of the Customs Act, 1962, was registered in New Delhi.
Status: The case is pending in the Delhi high court.
4. The MLA and his family faced some other criminal cases in Moga and all these cases were registered after the SAD-BJP alliance came into power in the state. Two of these cases -- attempt to murder and using abusive language against an SC/ST person -- were registered during parliamentary elections. Jain faces another case of cheating in the sale of a property.
Status: Not known
5. In one of the criminal cases, his son Akshit Jain was booked for culpable homicide not amounting to murder. The case was registered in October 2007. A scooterist had succumbed to his injuries suffered during a collision with Akshit's car.
Status: Not known