Father, son booked for leaving hotel with Rs 57,000 bill unpaid

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: Dec 06, 2014 13:40 IST

Police have booked a Gurgaon-based father, son and their driver for allegedly leaving luxury hotel JW Marriott, Sector 35, with an unpaid bill of Rs 57,000, during their four-day stay at the hotel from November 4-7. It has also been alleged that the accused stole hotel property like tea kettle, steam iron, hair dryers. All attempts by hotel staff to call at the phone numbers provided by them have proved futile.

The accused have been identified as Sandeep Sharma and his son Riyan, residents of house number 392, Sector 36, Gurgaon, and their driver Manoj Kumar, resident of Bajwar village, Chamoli, (Uttarakhand).

Sector-36 SHO Bhupinder Singh said that Sharma and his son Riyan arrived at the hotel on November 4 in an Audi car (HR 26 BT 0009) and booked room number 416 in the name of his servant Manoj Kumar. On November 5, the booking was extended by two days. He turned down the hotel’s request of advance rent on the plea that it would be paid while checking out. As he was carrying a Marriott membership reward card, the staff agreed.

On November 7, at around 3 am, the driver told the staff that he was leaving as an emergency had cropped up. At 5 am, the father-son duo came down from their rooms, pretending to be going to the smoking lounge and escaped from the hotel in car, hurting a security guard, Bunty, in the process.

After a month of trying to reach the duo, the police registered a complaint and an FIR has now been registered under Section 380 (theft in dwelling house etc) of the IPC at the Sector 36 police station.

Anokha Sharma, the director of loss and prevention, at the hotel, and the complainant, said that rent for deluxe base category room was Rs 10,500.

“They had kept ordering liquor in substantial quantities,” said Sharma.

A Daily Diary Report (DDR) in this regard was lodged on the same day on November 7 and the FIR was registered later, after the dues went unpaid for around a month.

also read

Councillor’s report card: Made little change on the ground
Show comments