'Fight to go on, with or without Girhotras' | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 18, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -
live
* Wins + Leads | Source : ECI/Media Reports

'Fight to go on, with or without Girhotras'

A day after the CBI court in Panchkula accepted the closure report by the central investigating agency in a case, which involved former DGP SPS Rathore for falsely implicating Ashu Girhotra in theft cases and torturing him, Anand Prakash, the crusader in the Ruchika molestation case, is all set to move higher court against the decision.

chandigarh Updated: Jun 02, 2012 22:45 IST
HT Live Correspondent

A day after the CBI court in Panchkula accepted the closure report by the central investigating agency in a case, which involved former DGP SPS Rathore for falsely implicating Ashu Girhotra in theft cases and torturing him, Anand Prakash, the crusader in the Ruchika molestation case, is all set to move higher court against the decision.


Anand Prakash says that the fight is on and he will not give up till it reaches a logical end. Talking to Hindustan Times, Anand Prakash said, "The fight is on, with or without Girhotras. The family is under some kind of pressure and at the moment is not ready to talk about the case. They say it is the CBI, which has gone ahead and filed a closure report, signifying that the agency is against the family.

Girhotras have told me that they can't fight the CBI and are, thus, not interested in taking the case forward. Once I file the PIL, the family might gather courage and join me."

The reaction from Anand Prakash comes after the CBI court on Friday accepted the closure report in the case, thus giving a significant relief to Rathore, who is currently out on bail after spending around six months in jail while serving a sentence of 18 months on the molestation charge.

Anand Prakash says he has consulted his lawyers, who say any citizen of India if not happy with the decision of the court can file a PIL in the case either in the sessions court or in the high court. "It is after consultation with my lawyer that I shall decide on the court where the PIL would be submitted. It is my decision that the PIL should be filed and as far as the Girhotras are concerned they might come forward with their support."

The family of Ruchika Girhotra, a 14-year-old budding tennis player who allegedly committed suicide after molestation by former Haryana director general of police (DGP) SPS Rathore, had raised no objection to closure report filed by the CBI. The report filed by the CBI said there's no evidence to prove that Ruchika's brother was tortured in custody or that the signatures of her father had been forged on her post-mortem report, the same was later accepted by the court.

Ruchika's brother Ashu and father SC Girhotra, residents of Sector 12-A here, filed no objections as they appeared before the court on Friday. The CBI had filed closure reports in these two cases in 2010 and the duo's appearance was required for seeking their view. On April 4, the court had issued notices to the father-son duo.

As of now, Rathore is on bail granted by the Supreme Court on November 11, 2010, after spending around six months in the Burail jail. He was sentenced to 18-month imprisonment for molesting Ruchika in August 1990.

Rathore has appealed against the sentence in the molestation case and the CBI is still investigating the key case of abetment to suicide on the complaint of Ashu, who had alleged that "false cases of theft" against him and police harassment drove his sister to suicide.

Acceptance of the closure report by the family now takes some sting out of this allegation, as Ashu on Friday formally accepted CBI's contention that he was not tortured in custody.

The Girhotras could not be contacted despite repeated attempts.