Panic gripped the area around the DLF IT Park late evening on Wednesday after fire broke out at IT major Infosys office. Reports said that the blaze started from one of the kitchens in the Employee Care Centre (ECC) at around 6:50 pm, possibly due to a short-circuit in one of the rooms meant for maintaining the air-conditioning on the first floor.
Eyewitnesses said that within minutes, the building was engulfed with smoke.
No casuality has been reported even as the machinery kept in the air-handling room was gutted. The employees and the guests putting up in the block were easily evacuated.
Manimjara station fire officer SK Gosian said: “We got a call at around 6:52 pm and rushed three fire tenders to the spot. Within 30 minutes, the fire was controlled. The entire building was engulfed with smoke, so it was difficult to detect the exact location of fire.”
He said that fire-safety equipment installed in the building was used to douse the flames and DLF employees, who were working in the next building helped in rescuing the employees.
Fireman Balwinder Singh suffered injuries and was rushed to GMSH Sector 16, from where he was discharged after first-aid.
An employee, not wishing to be named, said; “When the fire broke out, I was about to leave office. I think it started in the Employee Care Centre.”