Two security guards had a narrow escape after a fire broke out in the Haryana roadways department at 30 bays building, Sector-17, in Chandigarh on Wednesday late night.According to the sources, a passerby noticed the fire that broke out on the second floor of the building above the health department, and called the fire department around 10:45pm.
Fire brigade pressed four tenders and a hydraulic ladder truck in service to douse the fire. Immediately after reaching the spot, fire fighters rescued security guards Ranjeet and Sagar, who were trapped in the building. It took them 30 minutes to douse the fire, after which the whole building was inspected.Station fire officer ML Sharma said, "After getting a call, two fire tenders were sent to the spot initially, and later two more were added into the squad, along with a hydraulic ladder truck, from Sector-17 fire station."
He said it appeared that the fire broke out because of short-circuit within the air conditioners (AC), but the exact reason behind the fire was yet to be confirmed. Records of the department were gutted in fire and loss was yet to be ascertained, said the official.
The operation was in progress till the filing of the report.