Fire dept yet to mark inquiry | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Fire dept yet to mark inquiry

chandigarh Updated: Jun 11, 2014 16:23 IST
HT Correspondent
UT fire department

Two days after a fire broke out at National Institute of Electronics and Information Technology (NIELIT) building in Sector 17, UT fire department has not yet marked any inquiry into the incident to ascertain reasons behind the collapse and death of two fire fighters.

Meanwhile, fire tenders continue to spill water on the debris to keep it cool to avoid flames due to heat generated by rise in temperature.

The area has been cordoned off and is being supervised by Chandigarh police and UT administration.

CTU director TPS Pholka, UT land acquisition officer Tilak Raj, and cyber crime deputy superintendant of police (DSP) Rajesh Kalia were present at the spot throughout the day to maintain law and order.

Nobody is allowed to come near the building as the threat of collapse of other buildings remains. The building in the extreme corner where the fire took place has already been declared unsafe.
The task of debris removal is expected to begin in a fortnight’s time as smoke continues to billow out of it.

According to sources in the fire department, it is yet to be checked if basic precautions were being followed by the building owner.

Station fire officer ML Sharma said, “The condition of the building adjoining NIELIT can only be known once the debris is removed. The debris will be removed only after dousing smoke. The wall is also cooled so that no heat is generated.”

He added that people who have their offices and shops in the buildings situated next to NIELIT are not allowed to open them as of now. “It is not known if heat is trapped in the adjoining buildings. If the doors are opened, they could catch fire because of oxygen. Safety measures are being adopted so that no loss is reported from other buildings,” he further said.

Meanwhile, people whose offices are located near the mishap site are worried about when their offices would re-open. “It can take at least a month,” claimed officials.

The case has been transferred to the crime branch.