Fire reported at house in Kharar | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 26, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Fire reported at house in Kharar

chandigarh Updated: Nov 24, 2014 21:01 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
SAS Nagar

A fire broke out at a house in Kharar in SAS Nagar in the wee hours of Monday. While no one was reported hurt, a loss of valuables worth lakhs was reported.

The incident occurred at the house of Naresh Kumar, an employee of the electricity department, at around 4 am while Kumar's family of 10, including four children, was asleep. Kumar woke up to the smell of smoke.

On inspecting the cause of the smell, he found smoke emanating from the dining hall and raised an alarm. Before fire could reach the bedrooms, Kumar's family vacated the house.

The fire department, which reached the scene of the incident in 15 minutes, took half an hour to douse the flames. Short circuit of an electricity socket near the fridge has been cited as the cause of the fire.

"The compressor of the fridge caught fire first, which later spreads into the hall," said an official. Kumar said Rs 15,000 in cash, gold and silver ornaments, furniture as well as electronic equipment in the house have been gutted.