Five bodies found in a day | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Five bodies found in a day

chandigarh Updated: Jun 27, 2014 07:58 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

Police found four bodies from across Chandigarh and one from near Morni on Thursday. In two incidents, murder cases have been worked out, but no arrests have been made so far.

In the first incident, Sector 49 resident Ravi, 25, was found murdered in Dhanas. The police claimed that it appeared that the victim was strangled to death with a rope. The assailants also tried to damage the victim’s face by smashing it with a boulder.

The victim’s family said before leaving home on June 22, Ravi had gone with his uncle to get medicines. He told his uncle that he was going to his brother Ashok Kumar’s house in Sector 38 and would return the next day. When Ravi did not turn up, the family checked with Ashok who claimed that Ravi never visited him. The victim’s family suspect Poni, a person known to Ashok, behind the crime.

Sector-11 station house officer (SHO) Malkit Singh said, “There are strangulation marks on the victim’s neck. His family had also lodged a missing report on June 24.”

The police claimed that two brothers-in-law of Ravi had allegedly killed him as they were unhappy with his marriage with their sister. A case under section 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) was registered.

In another incident, the police control room (PCR) received a call around Wednesday midnight that a person was lying near Hallomajra light point. A PCR rushed the injured to Government Medical College and Hospital where doctors declared him brought dead.

The victim identified as Sanjay, 40, a resident of Zirakpur, was stabbed to death and had injuries in his stomach and died due to profuse bleeding, the police claimed.

The police claimed two persons had killed Sanjay with the motive of robbery. The victim was stabbed repeatedly and his cycle was found nearby. The police also found his belongings such as mobile phone intact, but there were just Rs 30 and voting card in his trouser’s pocket.

Sanjay was into the business of selling disposable glasses and other stuff. The police registered a case of murder, but no arrest was made.

In the third incident, a 36-year-old man hailing from Muktsar in Punjab was found dead in a guesthouse room in Burail. The victim identified as Sanjay had checked in the guest house on June 22.

The police said Sanjay was currently unemployed. In the morning, he called up the reception and asked for water and liquor. The receptionist told Sanjay that they cannot serve liquor. When a waiter reached his room, Sanjay was shivering. After some time when the waiter again went to his room, Sanjay was sitting listless on a chair. The police was informed and Sanjay was rushed to hospital where he was declared brought dead. Sector-34 SHO Rajesh Shukla said investigations were on and the post-mortem examination would make things clear.

Meanwhile, a decomposed body of a 40-year-old man was found lying in the mud near a bridge in Sector 47. The police said the deceased was yet not identified.


Body of Kuldip, 30, of Bapu Dham, Chandigarh, who was missing since June 22, was found floating at Tikkar Taal in Morni near Panchkula on Thursday. The body was spotted by one Kishori Lal, who informed the Morni police.

On searching the victim’s body, the police found his photograph, Delhi Metro passenger card, water bill receipts and some cash.

Panchkula DSP Jagtar Singh said their counterparts in Chandigarh police informed the victim’s family. The body was identified by victim’s uncles Krishan Lal and Prem Singh.

On June 22, Kuldip had gone to market and had called his wife from Manimajra, saying that he would return late in the evening. He had left home on his scooter which was found on the Morni road two days after the victim had gone missing. The police also recovered an empty liquor bottle from the spot, but the victim’s kin claimed that he was a teetotaller. The police said it appeared to be a case of suicide but would ascertain after autopsy report.