Coming down heavily on the gas dealer for selling a defective stove that led to fire leaving three injured, the state consumer disputes redressal commission, Punjab, has directed the gas agency to pay ` 2 lakh as compensation to the family.
Through its order on June 6, the commission upheld the order of the Fazilka consumer forum and dismissed the appeal filed by Fazilka-based Rajoura Gas Service (Bharat Gas distributor) holding them guilty of unfair trade practices and deficient services.
The forum on April 29, 2013, had directed the agency to stop practice of forcibly selling gas stoves to new gas consumers against their will. It was against this order the gas agency had moved the consumer commission, but the agency failed to get any relief as the commission did not find any “legal infirmity” in the order of the forum.
Pirthi Raj along with his sons Anil Kumar and Sandeep Kumar, residents of Bhadar Khera in Fazilka, claimed that they had purchased a gas connection from Rajoura Gas Service in Fazilka, on February 4, 2012. They claimed that they were delivered one gas cylinder along with regulator, one pipe and one gas stove of Bharat Gas company. The complainant alleged that the gas stove was not working properly and had some manufacturing defect, which came to fore during instalation. When the gas stove was lit, its flames spread without any control, whereupon he switched off the same.
The fire spread everywhere and the complainants were engulfed in it and thereby suffered serious burn injuries. They were hospitalised and police had even recorded Prithi Raj’s statement but no action was taken.
Employees of the gas agency had refused to install gas stove.
Rajoura Gas Service claimed that it is a dealer of Bharat Gas company and entire product of the company is tried and tested before its supply to the public and they are compatible of ISI standards and ISI Mark and are free from any manufacturing defect. They alleged that the accident happened on account of sheer negligence of the complainant. They denied having detected any defect during the instalation of the gas stove by their employees.