Massive explosions in welding gas cylinders that shook Hingakhedi village around 11am on Saturday claimed the lives of an instructor and two students at a workshop of Gyan Ganga Polytechnic in Kurukshetra district.
Such was the intensity of the blasts that bodies of the victims ripped into pieces. The instructor was identified as Kuldeep, while the students were identified as Ravi of Durali, Rahul of Chhiba village.
Members of a forensic team, who collected the body parts, said they found the skull of one of the students from the second floor of a nearby hostel of the polytechnic. The roof of the workshop was blown off and windowpanes of all nearby buildings were shattered.
PANIC GRIPS VILLAGERS
The explosion, which was heard in nearby villages, created panic in the area and a large number of villagers and polytechnic employees rushed to the spot. Eyewitnesses said they saw blood splattered on the floor and body parts were strewn all over the place. A fire brigade team from Kurukshetra was also rushed to the spot.
Principal of the polytechnic Krishan Popli said it was yet to be ascertained what the instructor and the students were doing at the workshop when it was a day off.
Raj Kumar Saini, member of Parliament from Kurukshetra, Subhash Sudha, MLA, Kishan Bedi minister of state, CG Rajnikhanthan, deputy commissioner, and Simardeep Singh, superintendent of police reached the blast site and took stock of the situation. Bedi also ordered an inquiry into the incident.
Kurukshetra SP Simardeep Singh said a team comprising Shahbad deputy superintendent of police (DSP) and Jhansa station house officer (SHO) was assisting the investigators. He said the blast was so intense that it destroyed three rooms of the polytechnic building. A big crater was also formed in the ground.
WHAT TRIGGERED BLAST
Though the SP said he had initiated a probe into the incident, polytechnic teachers said two cylinders of oxygen and one of acetylene (highly inflammable) are combined together to produce high flame for welding. These might have exploded in the workshop. They said it was not clear whether the cylinder were leaking while the welding was on.