Khuda Lahora victim retracts | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 07, 2016-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Khuda Lahora victim retracts

chandigarh Updated: Mar 22, 2014 08:38 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The 17-year-old alleged victim in the infamous December Khuda Lahora case turned hostile in court on Friday and denied that she was raped. The UT police had had arrested and dismissed five constables-Jagtar Singh (23), Akshay (24), Sunil Kumar (23), Himmat Singh (24) and Anil (25), on December 19, 2013, on the allegations of raping and molestation by the victim.


However, recording her statement before additional district and sessions judge, Anshu Shukla, who was presiding over a special court for crime against women, the victim said that she was in an relationship with Akshay.

She failed to identify the other four accused, Sunil, who had been booked for rape; and Jagtar, Himmat and Anil, booked for molesting her.

The case will now be heard on March 24.

“The victim denied being raped. She said that she had a relationship with Akshay and the issue was blown out of proportion by political parties, social workers and women organisations. She said that she had gone to the police staion to make a request … prayer (sic) that Akshay should be asked to marry her and a story was cooked-up due to political interference,” said one of the defence counsels Rabindra Pandit.

He added, “She claimed that her life had become miserable yoga guru Baba Ramdev visisted her and her identity was revealed, forcing her family to move to rented accommodation.”

“The victim admitted to a consensual relationship with Akshay. She failed to recognise the others,” said advocate BS Jaiswal, complainant’s counsel.

Saurabh Joshi, the BJP councillor instrumental in getting the case lodged, said, “Yeh garib garibyat and majorbi ki jeet hai (This is the victory of poverty). The victim has turned hostile, which is unfortunate. She has been pressured. Her statement before the magistrate holds.”

“I was in love and wanted to marry Akshay but everything has been spoiled,” said the victim, breaking down outside the court, claiming that she would not go home without meeting Akshay. She added: “I do not know who the others are and why they have been implicated.” “I had visited the court and recorded a tutored statement on December 20.”

CHARGESHEET

In the previous statement that is part of the chargesheet as well the victim had alleged the following:

Sunil and Akshay raped her for months and after each sexual assault she was administered emergency contraceptives.

She was also threatened with their official weapon.

Even after the registration of the case, Sunil, who is married, had offered to marry her and also offered money to ‘settle the case’.

The other three accused Jagtar Singh, Himmat Singh and Anil used to follow and molest her and this had continued for months.