Lawyer murder case: Four accused sent in 7-day police remand | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Lawyer murder case: Four accused sent in 7-day police remand

chandigarh Updated: Mar 29, 2013 16:26 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
SAS Nagar

A local court here on Thursday sent all four accused in the Amarpreet Singh murder case in seven-day police remand.

The accused were brought to SAS Nagar on three-day transit remand from Indore and were produced before the court on Thursday.

The SAS Nagar police team on Monday night had arrested Sunil Bhanot, 26, alias Vicky of Sector 45, Chandigarh; Rajat, 24, of Burail, Dharminder Singh, 26, alias Gogli of Ludhiana, a proclaimed offender in a murder case; and Vishal, 26, of Delhi.

Out of the four weapons recovered — two .32-bore pistols and two 7.62-bore firearms along with cartridges —from the accused, one is licensed in name of Dharminder.

Advocate Amarpreet Singh was shot dead outside his house on February 27. Amarpreet’s cousin Gaganjot Sethi, son of former MC councillor Manjeet Singh Sethi, and his friend Simarjeet Singh, sustained injuries. Police had registered an FIR against nine persons.

Police had already arrested four other accused — Jaswinder Singh, son of SGPC member from Ludhiana (rural) Ranjeet Singh; Sunbir Singh, son of Dalbir Singh, a partner in Alpha Mall at Amritsar, and his relative Omkar Singh; and Deepak Kaushal, a law student.

All the four accused are at present in judicial custody. Police have also booked five persons on allegations of harbouring the accused during the one month of run.

Accused paid obeisance at religious places
For one month when they were on the run after the murder on February 27, the accused paid obeisance at various religious places. As per sources, after committing the crime the accused had escaped to Himachal Pradesh.

From there, the four accused in a group went to Ludhiana from where Dharminder took along cash and car which was recovered by the police from Indore at the time of their arrest.

The accused then headed towards Naded Sahib then later to Mumbai and paid obeisance at Hazi Ali, temple of Sai Baba in Shridi. The acused then went to Ajmer Sharif before coming to Jagraon as they had run out of cash. The accused after spending few days at Jagroan got in touch with accused Vishal’s friend who arranged for their stay in Indore from where they were arrested.