Lawyer was depressed over his gym lying closed for two months

  • Amandeep Dixit, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: Aug 22, 2014 10:45 IST

A day after an advocate allegedly committed suicide at Sector 22, it has come to light that his gym, the only source of his income, was sealed by the UT administration as it was located near the building of National Institute of Electronics and Information Technology (NIELIT) in Sector 17-B that had collapsed following a major fire on June 8 in which two fire fighters died during rescue operations.

Amrish Thakur, brother of the victim, Avneesh Thakur, revealed that apart from matrimonial dispute, Avneesh was depressed as he was suffering losses due to his gym being sealed by the UT administration.

He alleged that though his brother had pleaded before the deputy commissioner (DC) to open the building as it was declared safe by experts, his appeal went in vain, which led to his depression.

Supporting Amrish’s statement, Sarabjit Singh Sekhon, Karan Dhaliwal, Neelkanth and Pawan Sharma, who were also running their businesses in the sealed building, said they along with Avneesh had pleaded before the DC to open the locks of the closed building. But their pleas fell on deaf ears.

Sekhon said after the building was sealed, they held several meeting in which Avneesh had mentioned that he was suffering from financial losses due to closure of his gym.

Amrish said they had been running this gym for the past 20 years and it was the prime source of their income, adding that since the gym was closed, his brother used to discuss the matter with him daily. Soon after the fire tragedy, the administration had sealed the building after declaring it unsafe. However, later when administration-appointed experts inspected the building, they declared it safe, stating that some repair was needed.

Deputy commissioner Mohammed Shyain confirmed that the seal from the building had been removed after getting report from experts that the building was safe. He said the authorities concerned had been directed to implement the order, which was in process.

Meanwhile, to mourn Avneesh’s death, lawyers at the local court stayed away from work on Thursday.

also read

Councillor’s report card: Made little change on the ground
Show comments