Man killed, 3 hurt in CTU bus mishap | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 19, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man killed, 3 hurt in CTU bus mishap

chandigarh Updated: Jan 03, 2015 10:56 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

A 65-year-old man riding on a cycle-rickshaw was killed after being hit by a Chandigarh Transport Undertaking (CTU) bus in Sector 42 on Friday. The incident also left three persons, including a student, injured as the bus went over a road berm. One of the three injured was waiting on the berm to board an auto.

The accident took place near the hotel management institute when the rickshaw coming from the hockey stadium side was hit by the CTU bus.

The deceased has been identified as RC Vashisht, a retired central government employee, hailing from Nangal.

The injured are rickshaw puller Parmod Kumar (37), a resident of Dhanas; Ankita Sharma, a BA (first year) student at GCG-42, and Shatrudhan (35), an auto driver. While Parmod and Shatrudhan received multiple injuries, Ankita received injuries on her chin and internal injuries.

CTU general manager SP Parmar said the bus was being driven by Bhupinder Singh (45), who is associated with the CTU for more than a decade, and had a clean record. This was the first time that he met with an accident and was immediately suspended by the CTU.

Parmar, who also visited the spot, said there was no fault in the bus.

The bus driver was arrested and a case under sections 279 (rash driving), 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 304-A (causing death by negligence) was registered against the bus driver at the Sector 36 police station.

Later, he was released on bail.

Talking to the media, bus conductor Gurpreet Kaur said there were around 50 passengers in the bus at the time of the accident.

She further added that the bus driver in a bid to avoid collision with a cycle-rickshaw drove over the berm, but it hit two people. She said the bus was going towards Sector 43 when suddenly the rickshaw appeared before it.

While the injured were rushed to Government Multi-Specialty Hospital (GMSH) in Sector 16, Vashisht was rushed to the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) where he was declared brought dead.

Meanwhile, high drama prevailed at the spot after a rumour of a child being crushed under the bus spread. Police control room (PCR) vehicles rushed to the spot. Assuming that a child was crushed under the bus, passengers were removed and the vehicle was overturned. The police also dug a trench around the bus to see if any child was trapped under the bus.

Officials from the fire department also reached the spot to search for the child. But no child was found under the bus.

A fire officer from the Sector 38 fire station said after receiving information about the accident, a fire tender was rushed to the spot, including four fire fighters and one officer.

Talking to the media, Ankita said she was waiting for an auto at the spot. An auto driver stopped and she was bargaining with him, when suddenly they were hit by a bus. She said she lost consciousness at the spot and found herself in the hospital after an hour.