Man, son die after inhaling poisonous gas

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Zirakpur
  • Updated: Nov 18, 2014 12:14 IST

A man and his son were killed while two others were in a critical condition after they unknowingly inhaled a poisonous gas from coal burners (tandoor) placed in a closed container of a truck on Sunday night.

The deceased have been identified as Abdul Sitar, 60, and his son Raju, 20. The condition of two others, Salim and Kalim, is stated to be serious. All victims were the residents of Kajheri village in Chandigarh and natives of Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.

As per the reports, the victims were on their way in a truck of the ‘Shef and Veteran Caterers’ to Zirakpur after attending a wedding in Ambala. The truck was also carrying 10 coal burners in half-burning state.

After the truck reached at Dappar toll plaza, four persons moved in the container carrying coal burners, allegedly on the insistence of the driver.

On reaching Baltana, the driver opened the container and found all four persons lying in an unconscious state.

After that, all victims were rushed to a private hospital in Zirakpur where Abdul Sitar and his son Raju were declared brought dead, while the condition of the other two victims was critical.

Police say the accident happened due to negligence of the truck driver “who might not be aware of the consequences of the poisonous gas in the closed container”.

“The family members of the deceased have been informed about the incident and further action will be taken as per the complaint,”said police. Also, the bodies have been shifted to the Dera Bassi civil hospital for post-mortem examination.

also read

Councillor’s report card: Work can wait for controversy’s child Satish Kainth
Show comments