Max Hospital directed to pay Rs 2 lakh for medical negligence

  • Shailee Dogra, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: Nov 29, 2014 14:27 IST

Holding Max Super Specialty Hospital, SAS Nagar, deficient in services and guilty of unfair trade practices, the district consumer disputes redressal forum, SAS Nagar, directed the hospital to pay Rs 2 lakh as compensation to a Panipat-based resident for medical negligence, mental agony, suffering and harassment.

Raj Kumar, hailing from Panipat, had moved the consumer forum against Max Super Specialty Hospital, SAS Nagar, and Dr RS Rai of the department of urology, accusing them of medical negligence during his treatment.

The consumer forum presided over by Madhu P Singh, on November 25, held, “Definitely due to the communication gap, the complainant has lost faith in the hospital as well as the doctor as is evident during the three counselling sessions conducted during the course of proceedings by the forum. Thus, non- recording of the details of the X-ray report conducted on February 5, 2013, in the discharge summary and non-supply of the X-ray report dated February 5, 2013, on the part of the hospital and the doctor is a gross act of negligence. Thus, it is a deficiency in service and unfair trade practice on the part of the hospital and doctor.”

It may be mentioned that Kumar had even sought the expert opinion of his medical record and Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, being the expert body had not found any deficiency in the line of treatment. However, the PGIMER found that the outcome of the procedure for the right kidney stone was not recorded in detail in the discharge summary, particularly whether the stone in the right kidney was completely cleared or there has been some residual stone fragment left behind the kidney. Thus, there is a communication gap between the operating team and the patient.


Kumar said he had felt pain in his stomach on November 27, 2012, and was diagnosed with a right kidney stone. He approached the hospital for check up on January 31, 2013, and was referred to Dr Rai. He claimed that he underwent surgery for removal of the stones from his right kidney.

Kumar said on February 8, 2013, the stents which were inserted during the surgery were removed from his kidney. He fell ill again and was hospitalised for two days.

After few days of discharge from hospital, he suffered pain again, which kept on increasing every day. Thus, he approached a private diagnostic centre where he was informed that he has stone in his kidney.

He visited Max Hospital in New Delhi on April 5, 2013, where after CT-scan of the kidneys showed presence of kidney stones. He alleged that despite charging handsome amount, the stones were left unnoticed by the hospital.

also read

Councillor’s report card: Made little change on the ground
Show comments