A day after the district authorities found the Punjab school education board's office here lacking in the fire safety equipment, a minor fire broke out on the premises on Saturday.
The fire broke out at the single-window branch of the office due a short circuit. Though no one was injured as it was a holiday, the records and furniture were damaged. The flames were doused after about an hour.
During a surprise check on Friday, a team of the district administration led by the sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) had found that the fire-fighting system in the office was not up to the mark. The team had given 20 days to the board to take corrective measures.