'Missing' naib tehilsdar surfaces at home, denies abduction | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 24, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

'Missing' naib tehilsdar surfaces at home, denies abduction

chandigarh Updated: Jan 12, 2014 20:20 IST
Vishal Joshi

He surfaced as mysteriously as he had disappeared.

Anand Rawal, a naib tehsildar, who had gone missing under from Yamunanagar early this month, surfaced at his native Kohand village, near here, on Sunday.

As Rawal confirmed to the special investigating team (SIT) of Yamunanagar police that he was not kidnapped, initial police investigations hinted that the revenue official had allegedly scripted a drama of his abduction to settle scores with his opponents.

Yamunanagar superintendent of police Sibash Kabiraj told Hindustan Times on Sunday that Rawal was admitted by his family to a private hospital in Panipat and he was in fine health.

The SP said that the police had retrieved voice recordings from Rawal's mobile phone in which he can allegedly be heard threatening the acting station house officer of Ghraunda in Karnal, Ishwar Dutt Sharma, of teaching him a lesson for booking him (Rawal) in a false criminal case.

He said that the recordings were the material evidence on record in the case and Rawal had been asked to clarify on the issue.

The Ghraunda police had booked Rawal for rioting and injuring a dhabha owner at Kohand on December 26.

However, investigations by the Karnal police confirmed that Rawal was not present at the crime spot and he was given a clean chit.

The matter took a serious turn when Rawal's kin accused Vidhan Sabha speaker Kuldeep Sharma of harassing Anand by implicating him in a false case.

However, no evidence was submitted to the police to corroborate their accusations against Sharma, the Karnal superintendent of police Shashank Anand had told HT on Friday.

On Sunday, the family did not allow the media to speak to Rawal.

Meanwhile, Rawal told the SIT from hospital that he was under stress after a false case was registered against him at Ghraunda.

"Rawal has told the SIT that he was suspicious of being followed, so he left his car near Panjeto village in Yamunanagar and hid in the sugarcane fields for more than six hours. Later, he went to Jagadhari in Yamunanagar and Ambala and moved to Agra and other places in Uttar Pradesh. He finally reached Delhi and contacted his family late on Saturday," said the SP.

As per Rawal, he did not contact his family prior to Saturday, but the SIT is trying to find out the truth.

Police had recovered the abandoned car in the fields, along with his mobile phone, a few official files and other things.