Moga bus horror: No need for CBI probe, says Sukhbir Badal

  • HT Correspondent, None, Dasuya (Hoshiarpur)/Chandigarh
  • Updated: May 05, 2015 22:57 IST

Punjab deputy chief minister on Tuesday said there was no need for a CBI probe into the Moga molestation case.

Speaking to the media in Dasuya (Hoshiarpur), he said: “There was a similar unfortunate accident in Khanna two days ago. But the media is not highlighting it and is targeting us only. Let me again tell you that whatever has happened in Moga was very unfortunate. The Punjab government had taken prompt and strictest action. The Punjab Police registered a criminal case under Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and the culprits have been arrested.”

Earlier in the day, Sukhbir met victim Arshdeep Kaur’s recuperating mother Shinder Kaur at the Moga civil hospital. He also met Sukhdev Singh, the girl’s father, and expressed grief over the tragic incident.

Assuring the family of exemplary punishment to the culprits, Sukhbir said the Punjab government was with them in every possible way.

Former HC chief justice to probe case

The Punjab government on Tuesday appointed Justice VK Bali (retired), former chief justice of the Punjab and Haryana high court, to probe the Moga molestation incident. He has been told to submit a report within two months.

Harcharan Bains, media adviser to the Punjab CM, said the state government had also decided to constitute a committee under the chairmanship of another retired judge of the HC to make recommendations for safety of the public, especially women and children, using public transport. The committee shall be assisted by the principal secretary (transport), state transport commissioner and the ADGP (traffic). The committee shall also make its recommendations in two months.

also read

Union cabinet approves closure of HMT tractor unit at Pinjore
Show comments