Paying heed to traders, MC to again place car bazaar policy before House

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: Feb 04, 2015 15:10 IST

With members of the Chandigarh Business Council (CBC) demanding that the car bazaar in Sector 7, biggest in the region, be shifted, the Chandigarh municipal corporation (MC) has decided to place the car bazaar policy before the House once again.

Additional commissioner Sunil Bhatia, who heads the committee analysing the matter, met a CBC delegation led by president Baldev Goel on Monday.

Alleging irregularities in the functioning of the car bazaar, its dealers had moved the Punjab and Haryana high court that had on August 11, 2014, directed the civic body to frame a policy within three months.

As part of the policy framed in October last year, the finance and contract committee had decided to auction all 60 sites in front of showrooms in Sector 7 market for a period of two years that could be extended up to three years.

Residents of Chandigarh who dealt in used cars or had an office in Chandigarh were allowed to participate in the auction. Reserve price of each site was set as `3 lakh. Besides, applicants would have to pay `30,000 as earnest money and deposit an additional amount of `20,000 on the day of auction.

Later, the MC House deferred the policy in November last year stating that there were certain gaps in it, while questioning why the car bazaar could not be shifted to another site in the city as it was creating a lot of inconvenience to people.

Following this, a committee was formed and objections against the car bazaar were invited. The MC has to file a reply in the high court before February 28.

The CBC delegation on Monday apprised Bhatia of the difficulties faced by traders of Sector 7, Madhya Marg, due to the car bazaar on Sunday.

They said though the Chandigarh Administration had allowed shops to remain open all seven days a week, they could not keep their shops open on Sunday due to the car bazaar, as it took over the entire parking space, leaving no space for their or customers’ vehicles.

Speaking to HT, additional commissioner-1 Sunil Bhatia said, “We have got several objections from showroom owners, but we are to decide anything. Therefore, we will place the policy once again in the House and let it decide.”

Sources said MC chief engineer had already been asked to look for an alternative site.

also read

Union cabinet approves closure of HMT tractor unit at Pinjore
Show comments