PGI doc's office AC catches fire after left on for hrs

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: Sep 03, 2014 21:03 IST

A faculty member of the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, on Wednesday left an air-conditioner in his office on for hours, following which it caught fire.

According to PGI officials, a fire broke out at the fifth floor of the Nehru Hospital of PGI. The fire broke out due to short-circuit in the window air-conditioning unit, which was left on for hours despite the fact that the doctor was not present in the office.

The fire broke out in the room number 26 occupied by Dr Vikas Saini, an assistant professor in the department of anesthesia.

The AC unit and a chair were gutted in the fire.

The officials said the fire broke out in F-block of the Nehru Hospital in the area where most of the faculty offices are located.

The fire control wing of the institute controlled the flames. Several operation theatres and other patient care units are also located on the fifth floor.

It is a common practice among the PGI doctors leaving air-conditioners in their offices on for hours no matter whether they are present there or not.

also read

Councillor’s report card: Heera Negi tried, but failed to stir officials up
Show comments