Dilijit Doshjan is currently shooting for "Udta Punjab " in Amritsar and Gippy Grewal will be making his Bollywood debut soon opposite Govinda's daughter Narmada.
Both these singers turned actors have come a long a way in their respective careers. But these two aren't the first to try their hand at acting.
Here is a look at five Punjabi singers who were bitten by the acting bug:
1. Harbhajan Maan: The Punjabi singer brought evolution into the Punjabi cinema with his first release in Jee Aayan Nu in year 2002. He along with director Manmohan Singh has made some of the most remarkable and is responsible for reviving quality based cinema in the Industry.
2. Babbu Maan: The Singer started his acting career in 2003 with a supporting role in movie, "Hawayein" based on 1984 Sikh genocide. later,he acted in multiple movies like Hero Hitler, Hashar, a love story. Though he didn't act in a lot of movies but the music of his movies has always been able to establish a cord with the audience.
3. Amrinder Gill: Following the trend, Gill even tried his hands at acting with his debut movie Munde UK De directed by Manmohan Singh having Jimmy Shergill and Neeru Bajwa in the star cast .This was followed by Ik Kudu Punjab Di, Taur Mitran Di, for Shergill productions., Saadi Love story and others.
4. Gurdas Maan: When the singing legend of the Punjabi music industry decides to act the movie gets a Oscar nomination. The movie, "Waris Shah-Ishq Da Waaris",2006 having Juhi Chawla, and Divya Dutta in the star cast remains one of the notable performances by maan apart from Shaheed -E-Mohabbat, Boota Singh.
5. Yo Yo Honey Singh: The singing sensation of the country did a regional movie ,"Tu mera Bhai mai Tera Bhai" with Amrinder gill the movie had created a lot if buzz in the regional circuit.