Rakhra: Principals can form panels to complete development works

  • Deepa Sharma Sood, Hindustan Times, Ludhiana
  • Updated: Mar 28, 2015 10:13 IST

Minister for higher education Surjit Singh Rakhra on Friday said that as other government agencies had failed to complete development work in government colleges, college principals could form committees to complete the work.

Rakhra was the chief guest at the annual convocation of Government College for Girls (GCG) here.

Talking to HT , he said: “The new hostel at the GCG is under construction since 2011 but the department concerned has not handed it over to the principal. So the girls have to stay as paying guests. I have asked college principals to form and lead committees to complete similar works on their own.”

When reminded that regular teachers in the state government colleges had not been paid for the past few months, Rakhra said a grant of `50 crore had been sanctioned for this. After an hour, the money was transferred to the colleges and the teachers are likely to get the salaries by Monday.

Rakhra said: “We want to fill all regular posts in government colleges, but the matter is in the Punjab and Haryana high court.” Almost two-fifth posts of teacher are vacant since 2003.

Rakhra said `3.5 crore as grant had been given to 16 colleges in February, and for GCG, `4 crore had been sanctioned.

also read

Councillor’s report card: Party or oppn, Satinder Singh doesn’t mince words
Show comments