School bus molestation case: Principal, transporter booked for not acting promptly | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

School bus molestation case: Principal, transporter booked for not acting promptly

chandigarh Updated: May 19, 2015 09:25 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

The UT police have booked the principal of Stepping Stones School, Sector 38, and the transporter for their failure to act promptly in the case of alleged molestation of a five-year-old girl by a conductor on a school bus.

Acting on the recommendation of the child rights’ commission, the police registered a case against principal Sanjiv Kumar and transporter Amrik Singh under Sections 19 and 21 of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act at the Sector 39 police station.

The police said the commission in its report on Saturday had highlighted lapses and dereliction of duty on the part of school authorities and the transporter. The school failed to keep the cognizance of the seriousness of the matter and provisions of the law which necessitated filing a police complaint within 24 hours,”stated the report.

The commission stated that the safety of the children, especially girl child, was not given due attention. “In fact the same was undermined and compromised,”noted the panel.

The case background

Thursday (May 7): The girl complained to her parents that her school bus conductor was molesting her. Her father approached the transporter, who assured him of sacking the conductor.

Monday (May 11): The girl’s parents approached the principal after they saw the same conductor picking up students. He issued a notice to teachers to verify the incident from other students travelling on the bus.

Tuesday (May 12): Parents approached the principal to know about the action taken against accused Jagjeet Singh.

Wednesday (May 13): Parents protested outside the school and approached the police. The accused was arrested.

Thursday (May 14): A two-member committee constituted by the UT education department started its probe.

Saturday (May 16): The committee nailed the school principal for negligence. The child rights’ commission recommended registration of FIR against the principal and transporter for not taking the case seriously.

Monday (May 18): The police booked the duo.