Short-circuit causes fire at bank

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: Oct 25, 2014 09:26 IST

A fire broke out at the Sector-7 branch of Union Bank of India here early on Friday morning, though no casualties were reported. Some electronics and furniture were gutted, but the officials said the records were safe. Short-circuit is being suspected as the reason.

The fire reportedly broke out around 6.30am when the branch was locked. A security guard deployed outside noticed flames and informed the fire department, said bank manager Himanshu Garg. Two fire tenders were sent to the spot from Sector 17 and another from Industrial Area, and it took the firemen half an hour to control the blaze.

The manager said wooden furniture, air-conditioners, computers and other electronics were gutted, “but there was no damage to the cash cabinet, lockers or documents”. He assured that all the data was saved online and the hard copies were also safe inside fireproof cabinets.

“We have deputed some of our staff members at the Sector 8C branch for the time-being, so customers of this branch can visit them for any transactions,” Garg added.

also read

Union cabinet approves closure of HMT tractor unit at Pinjore
Show comments