Surrey veterinarian to be sentenced in Washington for assault with drinking water | chandigarh | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 30, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Surrey veterinarian to be sentenced in Washington for assault with drinking water

chandigarh Updated: May 10, 2015 18:55 IST

A Surrey veterinarian is expected to be sentenced on Thursday in Washington state for smashing a drinking glass in the face of a fellow vet while vacationing in Bellingham last summer.

Harjinder Sekhon, 51, pleaded guilty on March 30 to third-degree assault. Assault in the third degree is punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

According to an affidavit filed in Whatcom County Superior Court, shortly before 3 a.m. on July 6, 2014 police responded to a report of an assault at 27 Deer Run Lane in Bellingham.

At the scene, Ravinderjit Singh - a veterinarian in Mission - said he and Sekhon had been drinking and were sitting on the living room couch having a discussion that escalated into an argument. He said that during the argument Sekhon hit him in the left side of the face with a glass.

The responding officer saw cuts on the left side of Singh's face and nose, and his face was swelling up. There were bruises on his face and his left eye had turned red from blood. Singh said he had trouble seeing out of and closing his left eye.

Sekhon said Singh had fallen down because he was drunk and hurt himself. He denied hitting Singh.

The deputy found a broken glass in the kitchen garbage, which a mutual friend said he had cleaned up.
Blood was also found in the living room where Singh said he had been assaulted. The friend refused to corroborate Singh's claim or Sekhon's version of the story. He did, however, confirm that a glass was broken during the argument.

The deputy noted that the injuries to Singh's face did not appear consistent with falling down - it appeared Singh had been hit in the face with an object.

Sekhon was charged with assault and released on bail the next day.

Singh, when reached by telephone on Tuesday, said last year was "a tough time" and physically he is getting better.

He said he will not be at the sentencing on Thursday because he has to work, but will respect any decision the court makes.Singh declined to comment further until after the sentencing.Sekhon did not respond to a message left at his office