Two years on, MC chief still to order probe into R 2-crore pipeline scam

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: May 26, 2014 15:16 IST

Even two years after the Rs 2 crore Military Engineering Services (MES) pipeline scam came into light, no inquiry has been marked into the case yet.

MC commissioner Vivek Pratap Singh assured of writing to the UT administration in December last year, but , five months later, the situation remains the same.

The decision of the com-missioner to hold an impartial inquiry came after former MC vigilance officer Lalit Siwach, who was told to inquire into the matter in May, 2012, did nothing.

Moreover, the officer wrote to the MC in December, 2013, after he was repatriated to his parent state of Haryana in September, claiming that he could not inquire into the case as he was too busy. Since he was repatriated, the case should be given to another officer, he wrote.

BJP councillor Saurabh Joshi, who raised the issue in the MC House, said, “It is unfortunate that even after 23 months of marking an inquiry, nothing has been done till date. I will protest outsi de the mayor’s of ficer, but after giving them another chance.” MC commissioner Vivek Pratap Singh did not respond to our calls despite repeated attempts.

The scam, which was highlighted by HT, pertains to laying of 600-mm mild-steel (MS) pipe for supplying water from the Sector-39 waterworks to Chandimandir cantonment. MC officials allegedly favoured a private firm, Pipe Construction Company, by inflating the costs and thus caused a loss of Rs 2 crore to the MES.

Also, councillors who were earlier vocal on the issue have been reluctant to pursue the matter lately.

also read

Union cabinet approves closure of HMT tractor unit at Pinjore
Show comments