Maruti Suzuki India on Tuesday reopened its Manesar plant amid heavy security, a month after a lockout was declared due to the violence in which one senior company official was killed and 100 others injured.
Workers were standing in queue outside the factory gate to enter the plant amid heavy rain. The Haryana Police have provided 500 personnel, out of which 200 are inside the plant and 300 in areas around the facility. Besides, the company has formed its own special force numbering 100, which includes ex-servicemen.
The company had earlier announced that only 300 permanent workers will resume work. Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) chief operating officer (administration) SY Siddiqui had, on Monday, said that workers would operate in a single shift from 8am to 4.30pm.
Initially, nearly 150 cars are expected to be rolled out every day instead of the plant's normal capacity of 1,500-1,700 units. Production will be gradually ramped up at the plant, which has an annual capacity of 5.5 lakh units.
The company had declared a lockout at the Manesar plant on July 21 following the worst-ever violence in its history on July 18. The plant suffered damages estimated to be less than Rs 10 crore, while the overall production loss during the lockout was pegged around Rs 1,400 crore.
The MSI has decided to terminate services of 500 permanent workers, who were allegedly found to be involved in violence. Besides, MSI is said to be planning to remove another 500 contract workers over their alleged role in the violence and arson.
Prior to the incident, the plant had employee strength of 3,300, of which 1,528 were permanent. To increase the workforce, the company will start fresh recruitment of permanent workers from September 2 and existing contract workers will be considered for appointment.