With the bursting of sluice valve of Phase 2 of Kajauli waterworks on Sunday evening, the supply to Chandigarh and SAS Nagar has been stopped. Though the morning supply on Monday will be normal, there will be no water supply in the evening hours. It might take a day or two to resume normal supply.
RC Diwan, superintending engineer, public health department, Chandigarh MC, said the valve burst late on Sunday evening and the entire waterworks had been flooded.
"We have stopped the supply from phase 3 and 4. We do not know the reason how the valve burst, but we will try to resume the supply as soon as possible. It might take a day to or two to resume proper supply."
The residents of Chandigarh and SAS Nagar residing on first and second floors will have to bear the brunt as the supply will be low in pressure during the morning hours on Monday.
RP Gupta, executive engineer, waterworks, SAS Nagar, said, "The valves are 30-year-old and one of them accidentally burst late in the evening. Necessary repairs are being done on war footing and it is expected that normal supply will resume from phase 1 and 2 shortly and from phase 3 and 4 it will be resumed on Tuesday morning."
Even in August last year, two pipelines of phase 3 and 4 of Kajauli waterworks were damaged while workers were carrying out digging work for laying pipes under phase 5 and 6. It took 15 days to resume the supply, hitting the residents of both cities badly.