The long stalemate between NHPC hydel power project authorities and those demanding employment in the power project at Parbati stage 2 in Sainj area of Kullu district came to an end on Tuesday.
The standoff stalled work on the project site for six days in the area and forced district administration authorities to intervene in the issue.
Members of families who had lost their land due to the NHPC power project Parbati stage 2 and Parbati stage 3 were demanding employment in the project to sustain their livelihood.
Angry villagers had stalled work completely on the project site for the past six days and hundreds of NHPC employees were forced to remain idle throughout the day, which led to huge costs for the authorites.
Divan Chand and Tek Chand, members affected by the NHPC power project said they had lost everything to establish the project in the district. However, they were wandering from 2003 till today to get their rights, but no concrete step had been taken by the state government as well as the NHPC authority to rehabilitate the affected families in the region.
According to Tek Singh, there are 140 families directly affected by the power project in stage 2 while around 70 families are affected by stage 3 and waiting desperately to get their rights.
General manager of NHPC hydel power project, AK Singh said, “The demand of the villagers, especially for employment, is illogical and it is now up to the state government to take a decision.”
On Monday, Kullu deputy commissioner Rakesh Kanwar had visited the area for a dialogue with the angry villagers. He said he tried to pacify the situation and the villagers assured him they would call off the strike.
Kanwar said people were demanding employment in the power project and he assured them their matter would be presented before the state government for consideration. He urged villagers to give two months to the government to take any concrete decision over the issue. Relying on him, the villagers called off their strike.