Zirakpur flyover accident: Investigation had many holes

  • Amandeep Dixit, Hindustan Times, SAS Nagar
  • Updated: Feb 13, 2015 14:17 IST

It has been learnt that the investigating officer of Zirakpur police station, who was searching for the 16-year-old driver of i20 in the Zirakpur flyover accident, had no clue on the whereabouts of the teenager till a relative of the accused surrendered him before the police on February 11.

The accused was admitted to Max Hospital in Phase 6 of SAS Nagar at 2.20pm on February 6, when the hospital had sent a medical legal report (MLC) to the police post on the day of accident but the police was still unable to trace the accused.

Narinder Sood, in-charge of Phase 6 police post said they had received the information on the day of accident through the MLC.

Investigating officer of the case from, Hansraj Singh said that no information had been received regarding the accused driver of i20 and neither the hospital nor the police had informed him.

He added that he did not receive any MLC either.

Upon checking the Max Hospital records, it has been confirmed that a 16-year-old boy was indeed admitted to the hospital on February 6 at 2.20pm and was discharged on February 9 at 8pm in the evening.

He was undergoing treatment for four days because he had also sustained injuries from the accident.

Medical superintendent at the hospital, Dr Jatinder Arora said that the information had been sent on the same of admission on February 6 as this was the routine process of all the MLC cases.

Arora added that the information was provided as per the case history told by the attendants or family members of the patient.

He also said that it was necessary that the hospital should inform the police while discharging the patient. However, the senior superintendent of police (SSP) of SAS Nagar, Gurpreet Singh Bhullar said that he had verified it from the police teams that the SAS Nagar police did not receive any information from Max Hospital on the case.

Police role questionable

Despite having received the information from the hospital authorities, the police did not swing into the action against the accused. Interestingly, he was discharged from the hospital after the treatment, the police was unaware of the development till he surrendered.

Deadly flyover race that ended three lives

The 16-year-old accused driver of the car revealed that he made an eye contact with Mankirat Singh at the barrier before the Zirakpur flyover, and from there on, the duo started racing against each other. The accident took place when they were returning from their schools separately.

also read

Councillor’s report card: Work can wait for controversy’s child Satish Kainth
Show comments