A juvenile justice board on Friday concluded the inquiry against the juvenile accused in the December 16 gang rape and reserved the case for pronouncement of verdict.
The fate of the juvenile, termed the “most brutal of the six accused” by the prosecution, will be known on or soon after July 11 — the date by which the prosecution and defence can submit clarifications, if any. The maximum punishment the juvenile can get if found guilty under the Juvenile Justice Act will be three years in a reformatory home.
His lawyer told the court that there was no medical evidence against him to connect him with the crime and his finger prints had not been found in the bus in which the rape took place. The juvenile, in his statement recorded by the board, has claimed innocence.
The trial of the four adult accused has also reached its fag end with the recording of the last prosecution witness — the carpenter whom the six accused had robbed that day.
The proceedings for the main accused Ram Singh stand abated as he had committed suicide in Tihar Jail in March.
Foreign sribes’ plea
In response to the group of foreign correspondents moving high court to be allowed to cover the December 16 gang rape trial, the Delhi Police on Friday urged the court not to give them permission. The police claimed the foreign media had committed certain violations earlier.
The Delhi Police counsel told a bench of Justice Rajiv Shakdher that a section of foreign media had already irresponsibly published the victim’s name in complete violation of the orders of the court even when the gag order was in force.
On March 22, the high court had, while lifting the media gag imposed by the trial court, allowed only national dailies to cover the trial.
After hearing brief arguments, Justice Shakdher said he will examine the issue in detail on July 11, the next date of hearing.