Hyderabad blasts: NIA team raids two Bihar districts to nab alleged IM operatives

  • Agencies, Patna/Hyderabad
  • |
  • Updated: Feb 23, 2013 09:20 IST
  • Traffic

    Traffic returned to normal and commercial establishments began to open on the stretch, two days after the deadly terror attack near the bus stand, claimed ...

  • People

    One of the blast sites in Hyderabad is cordoned off as police and pedestrians look on. The busy Dilsukhnagar is limping back to life as ...

  • Shops

    Damaged shops are seen at the site of the bomb blast in Hyderabad. The image of the suspect on bicycle could prove a vital clue ...

  • People

    People gather at one of the two bomb blast sites in Hyderabad. As the suspect's face is not clearly visible, the police are taking the ...

  • Blast site

    Policemen and others walk past one of the two bomb blast sites in Hyderabad. The suspect was seen reaching the area at 6.38pm, 10 minutes ...

  • Policmen

    Police guard the site of one of the two bomb blasts in Hyderabad. A man believed to be in his early thirties was seen reaching ...

  • Bus stop

    People gather at one of the two bomb blast sites in Hyderabad. The surveillance camera installed in front of Dilsukhnagar bus station captured the image ...

  • Women

    People are seen at one of the two bomb blast sites in Hyderabad. The probe into Thursday's twin blasts gathered momentum with the police scanning ...

Two days after the twin blasts in Hyderabad, an National Investigation Agency (NIA) team conducted raids in Bihar's Darbhanga and Samastipur districts to nab alleged operatives of the Indian Mujahideen (IM), officials said Saturday.

 

State home secretary Amir Subhani said the state police will help the NIA team in its probe in the blast in the Andhra Pradesh capital on Thursday evening that killed 16 people and injured over 100.

"The NIA team visits any place with solid evidence. The local police will help it," he told reporters in Patna.

The NIA team is searching for Mohd Tahsim alias Monu, who is considered close to alleged Indian Mujahideen founder Yasin Bhatkal.

"A team of the NIA had conducted raids in Samastipur and Darbhanga in the last 24 hours in search of Mohd Tahsim alias Monu and other operatives of the Indian Mujahideen," a senior police official said.

Earlier, the NIA had issued arrest warrant against Tahsim alias Monu.

Banned militant outfit Indian Mujahideen's name has cropped up in the preliminary investigation into the twin blasts.

Last month, the NIA team had raided Maniari village in Samastipur district in search of him, but he was not found in his house.

The NIA team had arrested Mohammad Danish Ansari, an alleged operative of Indian Mujahideen from Chakjora village in Darbhanga in January 2013.

Ansari is allegedly a close associate of IM founder Yasin Bhatkal. Security agencies claim that Ansari provided shelter to Yasin Bhatkal in 2009 and 2010 in Bihar.


'15 special teams constituted'

15 special teams have been set up to crack the twin blasts case even as Andhra Pradesh government on Saturday announced steps to ramp up security including installation of 3,500 CCTV cameras at vital points.

"We have already gathered vital clues in the case. We are confident we will crack the case soon," state home minister P Sabita Indra Reddy said after a high-level review meeting chaired by chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy at the Secretariat in Hyderabad this afternoon.

She, however, said there was no clear information as to who was responsible for the blasts that rocked Hyderabad on Thursday night leaving 16 dead and 117 injured.

The 15 teams set up to investigate the case will have 10 to 15 personnel each from various wings, she said.

Director General of National Investigation Agency SC Sinha discussed the probe process with state police officials, she said, adding that government was determined to take steps to ensure that such ghastly incidents do not recur.

"Since 1995, terrorists have been trying to cause havoc in Hyderabad. In some cases they executed their plans... (but) many terror strikes have been prevented," the minister pointed out.

The home minister said 3,500 closed-circuit cameras would be installed at vital locations under Hyderabad and Cyberabad police commissionerates to improve the vigil.

Meanwhile, Director General of Police V Dinesh Reddy briefed the chief minister about the progress in the probe. The chief minister directed the Medical and Health Department officials to continuously monitor the treatment of blast victims.

He also asked the health education minister Kondru Murali Mohan to visit the hospitals and ensure that the managements did not harass the victims' relatives in any manner.

The state government would foot the entire bill of the treatment, the chief minister assured.

(With inputs from IANS, PTI)

 

also read

Trying to sneak out to Nepal, ‘suspects’ held on Bihar border

blog comments powered by Disqus