The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is soon expected to interrogate Commonwealth Games Organising Committee (OC) chairman Suresh Kalmadi once again over his alleged role in the irregularities in conducting the mega-sporting event.
The CBI had earlier interrogated Kalmadi on Wednesday for around nine hours. “He (Kalmadi) has sought to avoid blame for himself by emphasising that the OC’s decisions were taken collectively and he was merely a part of them,” said a CBI source, who didn’t wish to be named, as he was not authorised to talk to the media.
The source added that a lot of OC documents did not carry the dates on which they were signed. The CBI, said the source, suspects that the OC had allegedly delayed the award of contracts for various projects in order to benefit a few and inflate rates.
On Thursday, the CBI registered its fourth first information report (FIR) in its probe. This FIR was in connection with alleged irregularities in the award of contract for overlays at different Games venues.
The fourth FIR mentioned as accused the OC’s director general, VK Verma, along with other officials of the OC and managing directors/directors of several private companies, and others, under the Prevention of Corruption Act and sections related to criminal conspiracy.
Kalmadi, said CBI sources, is expected to be grilled on irregularities related to the award of overlays project, the contract given to AM Films UK Limited for the work of installation of video screens at the venue of Queens Baton Relay (October 29, 2009), and the R107 crore contract with a Swiss company for time keeping.