Body kept in hospital mortuary, cremated without inquiry raises stink

  • Raghbir Singh Brar, Hindustan Times, Faridkot
  • |
  • Updated: Dec 01, 2013 20:50 IST

An unidentified unclaimed body of a 45-year-old male kept lying at the mortuary fridge of the old forensic science department at the Guru Gobind Singh Medical College, Faridkot for 'many months', without even any inquiry by police employees, and an entry in the record of the post-mortem department as per the Roznamcha (daily diary report), it has emerged.

Now, senior police officials are looking into the case.,_compressed.jpg

"The Faridkot SSP has forwarded this case to me for fixing responsibility. However, I joined a few days back and am looking into the case," said Dilbag Singh Pannu, SP (detective) Faridkot.

The body was cremated by Sahara Service Society Faridkot on October 15 on a request from Faridkot city police.

"The police have behaved irresponsibly. It wrote to the post- mortem department of GGS Medical College on October 15 and the same day the body was cremated," said a source.

On October 3, the police was informed by a letter from the medical superintendent of the GGS Medical College about the body.

However, only a Class IV employee, a safai sewak, with the postmortem department of the colleges, Raju, gave his statement to the police on October 15 and reportedly told the police that the had been lying in the postmortem department of the hospital for 'many months'.

Again, in police records, it has apparently been shown that the death happened on October 17.

"It must be investigated who brought the body to the department, and why was it kept for so long without any entry," said Gurpreet Singh, president, Bhai Kanahia Cancer Roko Society, Faridkot.

The police had moved under Section 174 Crpc (unnatural death) and had registered a DDR on the statement of safai karmchari, Raju.

"How can one put a body in the mortuary of the postmortem department without any entry?," said Gurdit Singh Sekhon, a Faridkot resident.

"Where were the doctors who must have authorized the keeping of the body or known of it the next day," he added.

When contacted, Dr GC Ahir, principal GGS Medical College, said: "I am out of station for a week. Please contact somebody else."

Baba Farid University of Health Sciences (BFUHS) vice-chancellor Dr SS Gill also declined to comment on the matter, claiming only the hospital MS could give a reply.

Deputy medical superintendent RN Bansal did not take calls.

"Dr Jagdish Gargi, a convict in the kidney scam, was the head of the department of forensic department of the medical college till November 9," claimed Kultar Singh, vice-president of Bhai Kanahia Society.


also read

HC cell to probe graft charges against three Bathinda judges

blog comments powered by Disqus