Avinash Rasal, special public prosecutor in the 2008 Malegon blast case, was caught off guard after learning that the state government had abruptly withdrawn his one-month-old security cover a week ago without informing him.
Rasal told Hindustan Times that the move came as shock to him as he was not even informed or consulted or given any reasons by authorities before removing the security cover.
It was only in May when the state government had given a security cover to him and to some of the key witnesses as the police perceived their lives were under threat. Accordingly, three police constables attached to the Khar police station were deputed for Rasal’s protection; two personnel were posted at his residence and one would travel with him.
“In the last two months, this is the second time that they have done this. Suddenly last week, the constables were told that they did not have to come for my protection. This is weird as they did not even give any reason to me or consulted me before taking steps,” Rasal said.
He was appointed as special public prosecutor in the case in September last year and his appointment came after the National Investigation Agency (NIA) decided to not continue with Rohini Salian.
On May 13, the central agency filed a supplementary charge-sheet exonerating Pragya Singh Thakur alias Swami Purna Chentnanad Giri and five other accused in the case. The security was given soon after NIA filed the supplementary chargesheet.
Disappointed with the system, Rasal said that there is no transparency in the process. “They take decisions without informing or consulting the person concerned and even the central agency said nothing. I represent the agency in the court in such a sensitive case and they take no responsibility on such crucial issues,” he added.
Earlier, Rasal had alleged that the NIA kept him in dark before filing the supplementary chargesheet in the case. After the fiasco, a miffed Rasal had planned to resign, but issues were settled after an officer reached out to him.