‘Anil Kumble, Rahul Dravid, Zaheer Khan didn’t deserve public humiliation’ | cricket | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 24, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

‘Anil Kumble, Rahul Dravid, Zaheer Khan didn’t deserve public humiliation’

Ramachandra Guha, who resigned as one of the four members of the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA), has lashed out at the BCCI for its ‘cavalier’ treatment of Anil Kumble, Rahul Dravid and Zaheer Khan.

cricket Updated: Jul 16, 2017 14:22 IST
HT Correspondent
Anil Kumble resigned as Indian cricket team’s head coach last month. He said his ‘untenable’ relationship with captain Virat Kohli led to the decision.
Anil Kumble resigned as Indian cricket team’s head coach last month. He said his ‘untenable’ relationship with captain Virat Kohli led to the decision. (AFP/Getty Images)

Historian Ramachandra Guha, who had resigned from his position as one of the four members of the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (COA), has chastised the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for its ‘cavalier’ treatment of Rahul Dravid and Zaheer Khan.

(Read | Ramachandra Guha’s resignation leaves BCCI’s Committee of Administrators shocked)

Guha took to Twitter on Sunday afternoon to express that Anil Kumble, Dravid and Zaheer did not deserve public humiliation.

The two former Indian cricketers were named as assistant coaches (Dravid, as overseas batting coach) as the BCCI and its Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) consisting Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman announced India’s head coach in Ravi Shastri last week.

(Read | Money matters: Anil Kumble wanted Rs.9 crore, Ravi Shastri could get Rs.7 crore)

While Shastri’s announcement came as no surprise, the CAC and the BCCI did the opposite when they revealed Dravid — already in service with the India Under-19 and India A teams and Zaheer (bowling coach) — as latest additions in what looks like an increasing base of coaches with the Indian national team.

BCCI’s surprise call was met with some criticism, as there were no applications invited for the positions for which Dravid and Zaheer were picked.

Staggeringly, the BCCI followed the announcement with a declaration that Dravid and Zaheer have not yet been confirmed for the roles mentioned earlier, and they were yet to be provided with the contracts.

(Read | Sachin Tendulkar says Rahul Dravid, Zaheer Khan not imposed on Ravi Shastri)

BCCI’s handling of the matter has been heavily criticised, and now, Guha, who quit after being left frustrated with the board’s methods and CoA’s failure to address important issues, has joined the many voices against the Indian board.

(Read | ‘Anil Kumble - Virat Kohli communication had stopped six months ago’)

Guha’s comments came on Sunday, when Indian Express reported the outgoing CoA member Vikram Limaye criticising the handling of the matter between former India coach Anil Kumble and captain Virat Kohli.

“It is now very clear that there were issues (between Virat Kohli and Anil Kumble) that existed. I certainly believe that those issues could have been brought to people’s attention a lot earlier, so that the situation could have been managed better. It was brought to our (CoA) attention last minute. Those who were aware of the issue should have raised it earlier; two months earlier, three months earlier; when they got to know of it. Kumble was appointed for one year and not that these were age-old issues,” Limaye said.