Dope-tainted pacer Mohammad Asif has appeared before a Pakistan Cricket Board committee probing his 19-day detention in Dubai last June for possession of opium.
The three-member inquiry committee held its first meeting yesterday in Lahore in which they recorded the statement of Asif who is presently suspended from playing any cricket because of his positive dope test during the Indian Premier League last year.
"Asif gave his statement and produced documents indicating he had a visa to visit Dubai and negating reports he couldn't travel to Dubai again after he was deported following his detention last year," PCB chief operating officer Saleem Altaf said.
He said the inquiry committee would meet again on February 6 to reach a decision and recommend it to the board Chairman Ejaz Butt.
According to details, the board has already obtained a report on the incidents leading upto and during Asif's detention in Dubai from a law firm in Dubai.
Asif was released from detention without the public prosecutor filing criminal charges against the pacer for possession of of 0.24 grams of opium.
The prosecutor described the quantity of opium found in Asif's possession as not significant enough to warrant a criminal case.
An Indian Premier League official also confirmed that the IPL drugs inquiry tribunal that is looking into the pacer bowler's failed dope test will give its verdict on February 1.
"They are studying the entire case and Asif's statement and defense and are likely to give a verdict by February 1," he said.