Mitchell Johnson has been dropped from the Australian squad for the second test against England after failing to take a wicket in the drawn Ashes series opener in Brisbane.
Australian captain Ricky Ponting revealed on Thursday that Johnson had been omitted from the 12-man squad, leaving Doug Bollinger and Ryan Harris vying for his spot.
"The selectors felt that he is just down on a bit of form and down on a bit of rhythm. I think that was probably highlighted in the last game," Ponting said. "As we all know, the game of test match cricket is hard enough as it is without having to try and find those types of things in the middle."
Australia's starting XI won't be announced until just before the toss on Friday.
The first test in Brisbane ended in draw on Monday, with Australia only able to take one wicket in England's second innings despite having a commanding 221-run lead after the first innings.
England reached 517-1 against an ineffective bowling attack, with Johnson attracting much of the criticism after returning 0-170, dropping a catch and scoring a duck in Australia's innings.
Johnson has vowed to fight his way back into the Australia side.
The left-arm quick has often been described as mentally fragile but the bowler insists his problems are purely technical and that he is confident of rediscovering his form.
"It's obviously disappointing but it's not the end of the world," Johnson said. "It's very hard to take in, as playing for my country is a big deal for me.
"There's a few things that I'll work on in the nets. Getting away from all the hype and getting in the nets is probably the best option for me instead of trying to work it in the game."