BCCI sticks to its stand on 'rebels'
Reacting to Delhi High Court's order BCCI reiterates it would continue with its stand of banning players joining the ICL.cricket Updated: Aug 28, 2007 02:09 IST
Reacting to the Delhi High Court's order to public sector units not to take action against players joining the Indian Cricket League (ICL), the Indian board said on Monday that it will stick to its stated stand.
"BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) reiterates its position in the matter that every individual has a right to choose whether he wishes to associate himself with the BCCI or any other organisation," said BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah.
"However, if he chooses to associate himself with any other organisation, he shall not be entitled to derive any benefits from BCCI or be connected with any of its activities."
The PSUs have hinted that they would take action against those joining ICL as the BCCI had said that such players would not be allowed to play in the board-approved tournaments.
The court had earlier on Monday asked the BCCI not to take any coercive action against those aligning with the breakaway ICL.
"Let the cricketers play. Don't take any action against them," judge SK Kaul said after hearing the ICL petition on the issue.
The court asked the BCCI, the union government and 22 state cricket associations to file their replies to the petition and fixed Sep 28 as the next date of hearing.
Reacting to the ruling, Shah said: "There is no interim order granted by the court with regard to this stand taken by the BCCI."
The Subhash Chandra-promoted ICL has signed 44 Indian players for Twenty20 matches in October-November.
The BCCI had said that those aligning with the ICL would forfeit all the benefits that they get from the board.