ICC row: BCCI meet on May 7, Vinod Rai allays Champions Trophy boycott threat | cricket | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 22, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

ICC row: BCCI meet on May 7, Vinod Rai allays Champions Trophy boycott threat

The BCCI will hold an SGM on May 7 to decide its response after the ICC Board rolled back the 2014 revenue and administrative model favourable to it, but head of the court-appointed Committee of Administrators played down Champions Trophy boycott possibility..

cricket Updated: Apr 28, 2017 21:56 IST
HT Correspondent
The BCCI had been insisting on the International Cricket Council (ICC) retaining the Big Three plan controversially adopted in 2014 giving India, as well as Australia and England, the lion’s share of the revenue.
The BCCI had been insisting on the International Cricket Council (ICC) retaining the Big Three plan controversially adopted in 2014 giving India, as well as Australia and England, the lion’s share of the revenue.(HT Photo)

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced its Special General Meeting in New Delhi to finalise its response after it was isolated in the ICC Board meeting in Dubai this week that passed a revised revenue and administrative model.

“We are going to convene the SGM on May 7 and there will be only one agenda --- how to go ahead on the ICC matter,” acting BCCI president CK Khanna said on Friday.

Read | Champions Trophy 2017: BCCI’s boycott threat of ICC event may fizzle out

The BCCI found little support in its bid to retain the 2014 Big Three plan which gave India, Australia and England the lion’s share of revenues, and it is contemplating a boycott of the June ICC Champions Trophy in England.

The Indian squad has not been announced despite the April 25 deadline having passed. However, Vinod Rai, head of the Supreme Court-nominated Committee of Administrators (CoA), played down the possibility of India, the holders, boycotting the premier tournament.

“Let the SGM first take a decision. We will follow the procedure. I am confident it will be a good decision. By chance if it doesn’t, then at that time we will look at it,” Rai told the media in Mumbai.

ICC offer still open: Rai

He said the ICC offer to add $100 million to the $293 million allotted as India’s share for 2015-23 was still valid. “Of course, it’s open. (There’s) nothing to worry about, nothing is lost, it’s not a closed chapter. Everything is being watched very closely. It’s a process of negotiation and we will see how it goes.

“Don’t worry, aap ki umido pe paani nahin phirega (you will not be left disappointed),” denying the BCCI office-bearers and the CoA were not on the same page.

“We are 100 % on the same page… We discussed in detail what they had decided, and what we had negotiated. After all, they are the elected office-bearers, they need to represent the BCCI in the ICC, and the ICC has not listened to their viewpoint. We will discuss again and we will come to a solution.”

No consensus in BCCI

However, some senior BCCI officials insist India must pull out of the Champions Trophy to make a point. A top Board official, in favour of exercising the Members’ Participation Agreement drawn up with the 2014 revenue plan to pull out, told HT, “We can exercise the MPA only till June 20 after which it will become difficult as the new laws and constitution will come into place. This is the best chance to exercise our rights and self-defence mechanism.”