Sachin Tendulkar, in a startling disclosure, said on Thursday that in his 21 years of international career no bookie has ever approached an Indian cricketer. Tendulkar's statement comes as a big surprise as his second captain Mohammad Azharuddin was banned for life for match-fixing in 2000.
"No, in my 21 years of international cricket, I have never heard of any Indian player being approached by bookies," said Tendulkar.
It was perhaps for the first time in all these years, that Tendulkar has spoken on match-fixing and also asked the International Cricket Council (ICC) to thoroughly investigate the 'spot-fixing' scandal and punish the Pakistani players if found guilty.
Tendulkar feels the revelations made by the British tabloid The News of the World, if proven true, will bring disrepute to the game that has worked hard to clear itself from the stains of match-fixing scandals in 2000.
"ICC should make a thorough probe in the 'spot-fixing' scandal related stories and take appropriate action if the players are found guilty. If the allegations are true, they will certainly bring disrepute to the game," said Tendulkar.
Tendulkar said he is not an expert to speak on the topic by sitting far away in India, but the incident has certainly disappointed him.
British tabloid News of the World, in a sting operation, revealed that bookie Mazhar Majeed, who was arrested and then released on bail, allegedly paid 150,000 pounds to Pakistani trio of Test skipper Salman Butt and pacers Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamer for bowling deliberate no balls at predetermined times during last week's Lord's cricket Test against England.