The elbow injury that Praveen Kumar had suffered last month mysteriously turned into blunt chest and finally settled at broken ribs on Tuesday. As expected, the swing bowler has been ruled out of not just the ODI series but also the ensuing Test series in Australia.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India, which had been caught unawares after Praveen failed to join the India squad for the first ODI against the West Indies in Cuttack, announced on Tuesday that PK would be out of action for almost six weeks.
"Praveen Kumar underwent a scan yesterday (Nov 28), and was found to have a fractured rib, as per the report that came through today," a statement issued by BCCI secretary, Sanjay Jagdale, said. "He is expected to recover in 5-6 weeks, and has therefore been ruled out of the ODI series against the West Indies as well as the Test series in Australia that follows."
Now, the issue of naming a replacement for the injured bowler would return to haunt the national selectors when they meet next week.
"His replacement for the Australia tour will be named on December 5 when the selectors meet in Ahmedabad to pick the team for the last two ODIs against the West Indies," the statement said.
This means that the likes of R Vinay Kumar, who replaced Praveen in the playing eleven on Tuesday, Abhimanyu Mithun, who will join the India squad as Praveen's replacement for the next two ODIs, and S Sreesanth, who had replaced Praveen during India's triumphant World Cup campaign earlier this year, will again be hopeful along with Munaf Patel and Irfan Patel of boarding a flight to Australia next month.